Competition Rehearsal - Friday, February 22, 2019 at 2:00pm-9:00pm
Competition Date - Saturday, February 23, 2019 at 7:30pm
Winners Recital - Saturday, March 2, 2019 at 8:00pm
The application form can be found and submitted online: https://wvucca.wufoo.com/forms/m1r1109o1x2atdr/
- Completed application deadline is December 1, 2018 at 11:59pm. The
number of entrants may be restricted due
to time constraints, in
order of receipt of application.
Competition is open to any School of Music chamber ensemble
that meets the following requirements. Ensembles will enter
either the Undergraduate Division or Graduate Division. All members of the group must register for
chamber music credit by the course registration deadlines as outlined by the
- Members must be registered under the specific
ensemble that is entering the competition during the semester of the
- Members may register for zero credits.
- Ensembles must be in good standing with and be
receiving regular coaching from a WVU faculty member.
eligibility will be verified with the ensemble’s primary coach.
- Ensembles must consist of at least 3 performers
and have no more than 6 performers.
may apply, but will only be approved for competition based on repertoire. Absolutely no traditional sonata duos will be
allowed to compete.
- Ensembles may
consist of a combination of the following instruments: Brass (Trumpet,
Horn, Euphonium, Trombone, Tuba), Piano, Percussion, String (Violin,
Viola, Cello, String Bass), and Woodwind (Flute, Clarinet, Oboe,
Bassoon, Saxophone), and Voice.
- Ensembles may not have a conductor.
- No change in ensemble personnel or size of
ensemble is permitted after the application submission.
- Repertoire may not include works designed for a
soloist with small ensemble.
- Ensembles should prepare a 10-13 minute program of
Ensembles are encouraged to select a program that showcases stylistic variety. In addition to the quality of their
performance, ensembles may be judged on the quality of their programming.
- No cuts in the music are allowed. Complete movements or works must be prepared.
- Repeats are at the discretion of the ensemble.
- Ensembles are required to present an original
copy of the scores (or complete set of parts when no score is available) for
their program. Scores must be clearly
marked with measure numbers at the beginning of every staff or system.
- The audition will be part of a public concert
taking place in Bloch Hall Saturday, February 23 at 7:30pm. It is expected that
all entrants will be present at the conclusion of the judges deliberations to
hear the results of the competition.
- Each ensemble will be allotted 15 minutes on the program. The time begins when the ensemble walks on
stage and includes the introduction, any tuning, minor set-up adjustments, and
the prepared program of concert music.
- At least one member of the ensemble must
introduce the group before beginning the program of music.
Awards and Prize
Over $1000 in
total prize money will be awarded at the discretion of the judges.
Winners Showcase concert will take place on March 2 at 8pm in Bloch Hall. All award winners will perform on this
IMPORTANT: Please confirm that your group is
available to perform on this recital before submitting your application. You may not participate in the competition if
you cannot play on the Winners Showcase.
If you receive a prize and are unable to perform on the recital, your
prize may be given to another group at the discretion of the Director of the
School of Music.