Thursday, April 5, 2018 - 5:00pm
Bloch Hall, Creative Arts Center
17, 2018 - 12:30pm
Music at the Mountainlair
The application form can be found and submitted online: https://wvucca.wufoo.com/forms/m1r1109o1x2atdr/
- Completed application deadline is February 15, 2018 at 11:59pm. The
number of entrants will be capped at 10, in order of receipt of application.
- Entrants must also have their primary coach fill
out and sign the “Faculty Endorsement Form”.
This form will be emailed to you after the application has been
received. It should be submitted to
Jodie Lewis in the Music Office (416A) between March 19, 2018 and March 26, 2018.
Failure to complete and submit this form on time may result in removal
from the competition.
Competition is open to any School of Music chamber ensemble
that meets the following requirements. As
stated above, the number of entrants will be capped at 10.
All members of the group must register for
chamber music credit by the course registration deadlines as outlined by the
- Members must be registered under the specific
ensemble that is entering the competition during the semester of the
- Members may register for zero credits.
- Ensembles must be in good standing with and be receiving
regular coaching from a WVU faculty member.
- Ensembles must consist of at least 3 performers
and have no more than 6 performers.
- Ensembles may
consist of a combination of the following instruments: Brass (Trumpet,
Horn, Euphonium, Trombone, Tuba), Piano, Percussion, String (Violin,
Viola, Cello, String Bass), and Woodwind (Flute, Clarinet, Oboe,
Bassoon, Saxophone), and Voice.
- Ensembles may not have a conductor.
- No change in ensemble personnel or size of
ensemble is permitted after the application submission.
- Repertoire may not include works designed for a
soloist with small ensemble.
- Ensembles should prepare a 15-minute program of
- Ensembles are highly encouraged to select a
program that includes music from at least 2 different time periods (i.e.,
Baroque, Classical, Romantic, Contemporary).
In addition to the quality of their performance, ensembles may be judged
on the quality of their programming.
- No cuts in the music are allowed. Complete movements or works must be prepared.
- Repeats are at the discretion of the ensemble.
- Ensembles are required to present an original
copy of the scores (or complete set of parts when no score is available) for
their program. Scores must be clearly
marked with measure numbers at the beginning of every staff or system.
- The audition will be part of a public concert
taking place in Bloch Hall.
- Each ensemble will be allotted 20 minutes on the
program. The time begins when the
ensemble walks on stage and includes the introduction, any tuning, minor set-up
adjustments, and the 15-minute prepared program of concert music.
- At least one member of the ensemble must
introduce the group before beginning the program of music.
Awards and Prize
Winners Showcase concert will take place on Tuesday, April 17, 2018 at 12:30pm on
the Music at the Mountainlair Concert Series. All winners (1st, 2nd,
3rd) will perform on this recital.
IMPORTANT: Please confirm that your group is available to
perform on this recital before submitting your application. You may not participate in the competition if
you cannot play on the Winners Showcase.
If you receive a prize and are unable to perform on the recital, your
prize may be given to another group at the discretion of the Director of the
School of Music.